X-Ray Diffraction Unit
Dr. Jordi Benet-Buchholz
Dr. Eduardo Escudero
Dr. Marta Martínez
Dr. Pratapa Siriyara (until June)
Single Crystal X-Ray Structure Determination
The renewed OHCD Laser was used for the preparation of some single crystals. For example, a new series of Pharmaceutical Co-Crystals were prepared using this system. Additionally, the OHCD was used for the crystallization of different model molecules (Toluene, Trifluoro-Toluene, etc…) which were measured using high resolution, with the aim to perform Charge Density Analysis.
The expertise of the X-ray Diffraction Unit on preparing highly sensitive samples was successfully applied for different samples prepared by ICIQ researchers.
Regarding powder X-ray diffraction, the number of PXRD patterns measured in 2018 were 5123. This number of PXRD patterns corresponds to the fourth highest since 2004. Additionally, the X-ray Diffraction Unit measured in ALBA Synchrotron in relation to limit of detection of polymorphs in pharmaceutical products. The measurements of variable temperature are still requested and 8 measurements were performed.
- Invited talk at the University of Duisburg- Essen (Annual Meeting of the German Crystallographic Society) about “New developments using the “in situ” crystallization with a CO2-Laser”; Dr. Jordi Benet (March).
- Experimental workshop in the International School of Crystallization in Granada; Dr. Jordi Benet (May).
- Seminar in the “Crystallography School” Jordi Benet (June).
- Seminar about “Crystallization Protocol to Obtain Single Crystals” at ICIQ, Jordi Benet (November).
- Dr. Jordi Benet participates in the “Bojos per la Química” programme.
- Talk entitled “Els cristalls de la xocolata” as paert of the program “La Ciència de la Xocolata” (Dr. Marta Martínez, 15th March).